Botox® (onabotulinumtoxinA) and Dysport® (abobotulinumtoxinA) are both neuromodulators that are FDA approved for the treatment of dynamic wrinkles. This is the most common non-invasive medical treatment for anti-aging. If you still have wrinkles after Neuromodulators, fillers may be used to fill in and soften these further.
Tiny quantities of these molecules are injected into target muscles where they temporarily reduce muscle contraction, smoothing wrinkles in the area.
The most common treatment areas are in the upper face, and include the horizontal forehead lines, deep vertical lines between the eyebrows (also known as the "11's), and crow's feet. These wrinkles form over time as a result of repeated muscle contractions from frowning and squinting, as well as the reduction of collagen and sun damage.
Botox® can also be effective for many other purposes:
- lift and shape eyebrows to give a brighter, more awake appearance to the eyes
- soften bunny lines, the wrinkles on the sides of the nose
- correct a gummy smile, where the upper lip pulls high above the teeth, exposing gum tissue while smiling
- slim the jaw by reducing the size of the masseter muscles that can be overactive from genetics, TMJ & gum chewing
- smooth lip lines, the vertical lines caused by aging, drinking from straws, smoking, or genetics
- smooth an "orange peel" appearance of the chin
- soften marionette lines and reduce the downturn at the corners of the mouth
- smooth neck bands and wrinkles
- reduce excessive sweating in the arm pits or hands
We always include extra time for our new patients to be sure that we answer all of your questions, and that you are completely comfortable before proceeding with your treatments.
*Results may vary
- Will I look frozen?
No. You will still have the ability to look naturally surprised, curious, happy, sad, concerned, etc...
Many people who seek Botox do so to actually bring out more of the positive facial expressions, and to diminish or erase the frown and worry lines.
- Will people notice?
Possibly, but in a good way if injected correctly. You will look rested and younger, but still look like you.
- Will it hurt?
These injections are virtually pain free!
- How long will it last?
The effects last 3-6 months.
Tiny injections of neuromodulator above the upper lip softens the pull of the lip above the gumline. You will still be able to have a full smile.
Specific injections of neuromodulator around the brow area can be used to help lift & contour the brows.
Neuromodulator injection into the masseter muscles leads to a slimmer, more triangulated contour along the jaw. You should not have any dysfunction of smiling or chewing with this procedure.